Solar Eclipse

Monday April 8, 2024

Dear Diary,

I woke up at 7 am. It was nice to not have to go anywhere. I laid in bed and wrote my blog. At 9 am, I got up and let out the chickens, ducks and geese. Boy were they mad at me for taking so long. I got a good tongue lashing or rather, beak lashing from them. I attempted to explain that I had been enjoying laying in bed longer than usual but they didn’t seem to think that was an acceptable excuse. 

I went in the house and greeted Christopher and Angel. Angel was in her room playing with her legos. I cheerfully informed her that it was a school day. She grumbled and complained as she got her school books. I told her, since I was home, I would do it with her. She got started and took her sweet time doing it. We took turns doing problems, when it was her turn, she refused to stay focused and flopped around and yawned over and over. After 2 hours she had only done 3 pages out of the nine she was supposed to do. 

While waiting for her to do her turns I had called a mechanic and left a message about getting my Scion worked on. He called back and said I could bring it right in and he would have it done in a couple of days. Angel and I took a break from school and she rode with me while I took the Scion to the mechanic. Christopher followed us and took us back home. I did school with Angel a half hour more then told her she had to finish on her own because I had to go do a couple of pet sitting jobs. I wanted to get them done in time to be back home for the solar eclipse. 

When I arrived in town I drove past the Bookstore and noticed some booths set up and people walking around. I remembered they were having an eclipse party there. I needed to get some eclipse glasses so I turned around and went inside and bought a couple pair of glasses as well as an eclipse t-shirt. There were a lot of people I knew there and of course I ended up talking to them for a while. Then I realized I needed to quit yapping and get to my pet sitting jobs or I wasn’t going to make it home in time for the eclipse. 

My first pet sitting job was walking a blue heeled named Zona. She is a really sweet dog. We went on a half hour walk around the neighborhood and then we played fetch in her backyard for a while. She loves to play. 

My next pet sitting job was feeding an outside cat named Kitkat and checking on plants. All the plants looked good but I couldn’t find the cat. I walked all around calling for her and did not see her anywhere. I put food in her bowl and hoped that she was ok. When I went to leave, the gate to the property wouldn’t close behind me. I messaged the owner and she said that the gate has trouble sometimes and to just leave it. I didn’t want to leave it open, so I pushed on it a little and put the code in again and it shut. Yay! 

The eclipse was already starting by the time I headed home. I could see the light changing. The day had started out cloudy but we had a break in the clouds which was perfect timing. I arrived home at 1:15 pm and totality was happening at 1:39 pm. I had made it in time. Christopher had gotten out his welding helmet to view it with but it was good I had bought the glasses because now all three of us could watch it at the same time. We all sat in the yard and watched the progression of the eclipse. It was really neat and a lot of fun. When it reached totality I looked around at all the animals to see if they were acting any different but the goats, chickens, ducks, geese, cats and dogs were all acting normal as if nothing was happening. It wasn’t completely dark out but it looked like it was dusk, right before it gets dark. I thought it would be darker but it was still a neat experience. 

After the eclipse, Angel and I went in the banana hut for music lessons. I found the music for Jesus Loves Me and wrote it out for her. She practiced playing it on the xylophone. Then I practiced Amazing Grace on the harmonica. We are scheduled to do the special music this coming Sunday. I usually sign up and just sing but Angel wanted to do something too and we decided to play instruments instead. While practicing the harmonica Little Bit started howling. We thought that was great fun so we brought in LacyJane and Healer to have a howling party. Little Bit and LacyJane howled with the harmonica but Healer just laid down and took a nap 😂.  

After music lessons, we were going to go swimming at a nearby pond called Swim Tank but just as we were getting ready to leave, it started pouring rain. So we stayed in the banana hut watching funny dog video clips until the rain slowed down. Then we took a bath and ate dinner. I ate a big salad. 

After eating, Angel wanted to go on a walk to the gulley. Before moving out here I used to always take a walk after dinner to help digest my food. I was glad Angel suggested it and it was a great walk. Everything smelled so good from the fresh rain. It is great that we are getting rain, Texas really needs the rain. 

At the gulley, Angel showed me some of her new tricks and I took a video of her climbing around. When we got back, we jumped on the trampoline until Christopher was ready for story time. Then we all gathered in the banana hut and I read 2 chapter from Stormy, Misty’s Foal. We said our good nights and Christopher and Angel went in the house. I watched America’s Got Talent YouTube videos on my phone and fell asleep at around 10:30 pm. 

Thank you for reading my blog, and being a part of my life. I dearly appreciate you.



P. S. This blog post was inspired by the Holy Spirit.

Leave a Reply